The Calabasas City Council said farewell to outgoing City Attorney Michael Colantuono Wednesday, remembering him for helping make Calabasas "one of the greatest cities in the state of California."
Colantuono, who has been with the city since Aug. 7, 2003, that he would be leaving to reduce his time spent traveling (he commutes from his home in Grass Valley near Sacramento) and devote it to having a better quality of life.
"You built this beautiful city and I had the privilege to help," Colantuono told the Council to a standing ovation in the chamber.
Mayor Mary Sue Maurer said he will be missed.
"I think in the nine years you have been here it’s no coincidence that this city has become one of the greatest cities in the state of California," Maurer said.
Mayor Pro Tem Fred Gaines said Calabasas has an outstanding record of avoiding legal issues thanks to Colantuono.
"You are going to miss us. One night you are going tp go to bed and think you could be here discussing septic systems or cell towers or something like that," Gaines said.
As city attorney, Colantuono was part of the team that:
- Oversaw successful design, construction and maintenance of the Calabasas Civic Center with essentially no claims or other legal entanglements.
- Expanded the .
- Assisted with development of the city’s Internet and other media programs which have become a model providers of public information during fires and other emergencies.
- Strengthened the city’s award-winning financial record keeping and other management systems.
- Updated the city’s general plan and zoning ordinance.
- Improved the road system the city inherited from the county at incorporation.
- Acquired and protected open space.
- Exceeded state and federal environmental standards.
- Maintained first class recreation facilities and programs.
- Accomplished a state-certified housing element.
The firm of Colantuono & Levin will continue to serve the city of Calabasas, and current Assistant City Attorney and Planning Commission Counsel Scott Howard will act as Interim city attorney.