Nothing says Valentine's like a bright red cake with cream cheese frosting. Resident foodie Emily Capretta, alongside trend guru Jessica Hagy, found the best red velvet treats in and around Agoura Hills.
1. Sweet Arleen's, Westlake Village
- Sweet Arleen's red velvet: The cream cheese frosting is to die for! Creamy and smooth, it also had the perfect amount of flavor.
- Price: Cupcakes are $3 each. The individual cake is $40 and the giant bread pudding starts at $40.
- Valentine's specials: You can order a personalized 4-inch round or 6-inch heart-shaped cake for two with a personal message or jumbo bread pudding that serves eight to 10.
2. , Agoura Hills
- Tifa's red velvet: Traditional red velvet was made from beets, and has done just that. Don't get turned off, it is amazing. The homemade gelato is two layers: the bottom is red velvet and the top is cream cheese. Need I say more?
- Price: The gelato comes in three sizes: small for $3.50, medium for $4.50, and large for $5.50. Grab a quart for $13.55 or a pint for $7.35. Boxes with homemade chocolate range from $3-$50.
- Valentine's specials: Chocolatier is also selling his progressive chocolates—from Blue Cheese to Chipotle Chile—in a heart-shaped box.
3. Susie Cakes, Calabasas
- Susie Cakes' red velvet: The best part about their red velvet cupcake is that they put the frosting in the middle. Susie's red velvet is super moist, making this the most delicious treat.
- Price: Cupcakes are $3 each. Their red velvet cake for two is $38 and their pies range from $8.95-$24.95. Cookies and brownies run $3-$5.
- Valentine's specials: They have a signature heart-shaped red velvet cake with "Happy Valentine's Day" inscribed. Along with cupcakes and pies, they have a white chocolate raspberry layer cake ($46). Their chocolate covered strawberries ($3.25) are dipped with long-stemmed strawberries. Susie Cakes also sells bags of mini heart-shaped cookies, sweetheart cookie sandwiches, heart-shaped brownies, decorated Rice Krispie treats, and conversation heart sugar cookies with different sayings.
Who can resist anything red velvet? Check out this week's video for our take on the perfect Valentine's treat.